I enjoy sending handmade cards, whether it be for a birthday, thank you, or just because. Recently I had several notes to write so I thought I’d try and make some cards. I browsed Pinterest for inspiration and happened across this pin. The link led to a private blog so I searched for a butterfly template and came with a couple different variations.
I called this card the 2-In-1 Butterfly Cut-Out Card because once you cut out one butterfly you have enough pieces for two different cards. It can be used for whatever occasion you like, just change the message. Perfect for birthdays, thank yous, or even just a note.
You Will Need:
- Butterfly Template Printed on Card-stock at Regular Size (I used this one from Babytalk Bungalow.)
- Butterfly Template Printed on Card-stock at Smaller Size (I copied the original template and set my printer to reduce it to 25%, you may have to play with your printer or computer settings to get the right size)
- Blank White Cards and Envelopes
- Colored or Patterned Paper
- White Card-stock
- Paper Cutter
- Double-Stick Tape or Glue
How To Make It:
- Cut out the large butterfly template(s), you can choose whichever one you like best or cut out all four and try them out to see which one you like best (I used the one on the lower left of the PDF because it fit my card size best).
- Cut out a piece of the colored/patterned paper that is the same size as the front of your card (My cards were 5.5″ x 4″, so out of one piece of my construction paper I was able to get 4 pieces the size of my card along with two 1″ strips which come in handy later for the message).
- Fold this in half and trace half the large butterfly on one side. You don’t want to trace the middle of the butterfly so line it up like in the photo below. Now cut this out. You’ll now have two different pieces.
- For Version 1: Tape/glue each piece centered to the front of a blank card. Cut a 2″ x 1/2″ strip out of both your colored/patterned paper and out of white cardstock. Write your message on the paper and glue/tape it centered on the card as show below.
- For Version 2: Cut 1/4″ off each side of the stencil piece and then cut it in half. Cut the butterfly in half also. Now arrange them on the card as shown below (make sure that the sides that face up don’t have pencil marks on them, if so flip them over and reverse them) and tape/glue them down. (The reason that you arrange one card one way and the other reversed is because if you were to have them both face the same way one of your pieces would most likely have pencil marks showing.) Write your message in the corner as shown below.
- Cut out the small butterfly template that is the same as the large butterfly you used for the cards.
- Cut out a 1.5″ x 1.25″ piece of the colored/ patterned paper. Following the directions in step 3, trace and cut out a butterfly. Glue/Tape the butterfly wherever you want on the envelope (I chose to put it on the front in the lower left-hand corner).
- Repeat step 7 for however many cards you are making so that each has a nice envelope to go with it. Now you’re done!
These cards are super easy, don’t take a lot of time, and are perfect to use for any occasion. So now that I’ve shown you how, it’s your turn to make a few.
~The Paper Cutter (who also frequently nibbles and wields a needle)